Lilies have long been a habitual inhabitant of many flower beds. We invite you to get acquainted with one of the brightest representatives of this species - the Urandi lily.
- What are Lilies OT hybrids
- What are the advantages of tall lilies
- How to properly plant lily bulbs
- Lily Urandi and the peculiarities of her cultivation
What are Lilies OT hybrids
OT hybrids (Orienpets) are modern hybrid varieties obtained as a result of crossing of tubular and oriental varieties.
Differ from other relatives:
- Tall stems;
- A variety of colors: yellow, orange, red, white;
- Pronounced pleasant aroma;
- Flowering for two months: from late June to late August;
- Large flowers, which are up to 25 cm in diameter, can be directed downward, sideways or upward. The petals are slightly wavy with curled tips;
- Ideal for open field cultivation.
Lilies OT hybrids differ not only in abundant flowering, but also in a pleasant aroma. After cutting, it retains a fresh look for a long time, does not fade or crumble.
What are the advantages of tall lilies
More and more experienced and novice gardeners prefer high varieties.
In addition to personal preferences, this choice is influenced by the following indicators:
- Plants are distinguished by the strength of the trunk with strong shoots, which makes it possible to protect the flower from accidental damage;
- Plants are characterized by frost resistance, they tolerate a decrease in temperature to -35 C;
- High level of resistance to the effects of a variety of pathogens and parasites;
- Long-term freshness after cutting;
- Long flowering period that lasts for several months.
Together, all these indicators give a plant that is remarkable for any gardener. Unpretentious, persistent and beautiful, it will decorate any garden.
How to properly plant lily bulbs
Before you start planting a flower, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the general rules for planting bulbs. The optimal time for planting is the spring and autumn periods, some gardeners plant even in summer.
An advantageous feature of spring planting is the fact that the bulb takes root immediately. This significantly increases the survival rate of flowers and reduces the likelihood of bulb freezing.
Spring planting in open ground is especially important for late flowering lilies, especially oriental hybrids. Closer to mid-spring, it is recommended to plant varieties that bloom in the fall.
For other varieties, landing at the end of April will be suitable. In this case, it is recommended to additionally protect the bulbs from a possible drop in temperature with a layer of dry straw or grass.
The positive aspects of the autumn planting of lilies include the fact that the root system has time to develop in the bulbs before the onset of the first frosts.
This helps the plant to calmly endure winter frosts and spring temperature fluctuations. Landing in September.
When choosing a place for planting, it is recommended to take into account that the plants feel most comfortable in sunny areas. At the same time, the place should be protected from the wind, with loose fertile soil and good water permeability.
In addition, it is important to remember that different varieties have different attitudes towards the indicators of acid-base balance, so tubulars prefer alkaline soil.
Two to three weeks before the direct planting, it is worth digging up the area and sprinkling the soil with ash, add humus and peat. It is recommended to apply a small amount of mineral fertilizer. After that, it is recommended to smooth and moisturize the area.
Lily Urandi and the peculiarities of her cultivation
It is important to remember some of the peculiarities of growing Urandi Lilies.
So, it should be borne in mind that:
- In cold climates, it is recommended to protect the bulbs for the winter. Despite the fact that OT hybrids are winter hardy for the winter, it is better to mulch the soil with a layer of needles or dry foliage;
- It is recommended to split the application of mineral fertilizers by three times during the entire growing season. At the same time, it is better to produce the first one in early March;
- It is better to apply organic fertilizers in small doses in the spring. Too much fertilizer activates the growth of stems and flowers, but the bulbs lose their ability to develop normally. This is dangerous because in winter they can get sick or die;
- For flowers and the upper part of the plant, the sun is needed, so planting a flower should be in a sunny area. However, the roots and root portion must be shaded;
- Every autumn it is recommended to cut the stems of the flower at the root;
- Do not forget about top dressing. OT hybrids require regular composting and water-diluted chicken manure. It is important to remember that the use of fresh manure is strictly prohibited;
- Loose, permeable and fertile soil is optimal for planting and growing a plant. In case the substrate is heavy, it is recommended to apply a small amount of sand just before planting.
Subject to all the rules of planting and care, the plants will soon delight the owners with long-term and lush flowering.
Lily Urandi belongs to OT hybrids, which compare favorably with other varieties in terms of endurance and frost resistance.
Unpretentious and sturdy, they are quickly accepted and, with proper care, can easily tolerate significant temperature fluctuations.
Let's watch an interesting video about tall lilies: