Professional gardeners, as well as amateurs, appreciate the unpretentious perennial plant - hybrid verbena. Almost all varieties of hybrid verbena are grown from seed without much effort.
- Verbena hybrid: growing from seeds
- Hybrid Verbena Care
- Verbena hybrid - species and varieties
- Useful properties of the plant
Verbena hybrid: growing from seeds
Growing hybrid verbena from seed for seedlings is a simple process. Seeds are planted in the ground at the end of March - mid-April, during this period the plant has enough sunlight and heat. Before planting, the seeds can be soaked for a couple of hours in a damp cloth or paper towel. The land for planting must first be heated from the sun and moistened. Seeds should be planted in the prepared soil shallow, literally half a centimeter.
After planting is done, the box with the plant must be created in greenhouse conditions, covered with film or glass and put in a warm place. Watering plants must be done carefully, no more than 1 time per week, because hybrid verbena does not like moisture and can simply die from frequent watering.
Literally in half a month, the first shoots will appear. The correct cultivation of seedlings requires infrequent watering and ventilation. After 3-4 leaves appear on the plants, this will happen in a month and a half, the seedlings can be planted in open ground.
As soon as the threat of spring frost has passed, verbena is planted. It is best to choose well-lit areas. It is unpretentious to the very ground. It is important to leave a distance of 25-30 cm between plants, because lush bushes grow from small plants that need a certain place.
Despite the fact that hybrid verbena is a perennial plant, in many regions with cold and harsh climates, it is planted as an annual. Its seeds simply cannot withstand the harsh winter frost. In regions with warm winters, the plant easily tolerates cold weather and gives amicable shoots the next year on its own.
Hybrid Verbena Care
Caring for the plant is easy. It does not require special attention or special fertilizers. Basic principles of caring for hybrid verbena:
- Regular watering. Only on condition of a very hot and dry summer. Verbena does not like moisture. With an excess of it, the plant can get sick. It is better to water immediately upon planting and before the flowering period.
- Weeding. It is needed only during the period of plant growth. Verbena bushes grow very quickly and will soon leave no room for the weeds to grow.
- Loosening. Required for hot summer conditions. In order to provide the necessary amount of air for the roots, the plant needs to be watered and the soil loosened.
- Fertilizer. The choice of fertilizer and feeding methods are carried out independently by gardeners. Ordinary manure can be used. One plant fertilization for the whole summer is more than enough. Providing good, fertile soil, you can do without top dressing altogether.
- Light and warmth. Adequate sunlight is needed to form healthy bushes. Therefore, it is worth choosing the most illuminated area of the garden.
- Removal of wilted and dried buds. This procedure is designed to maintain a decorative, attractive appearance and the appearance of new inflorescences.
- Verbena hybrid is very resistant to diseases and pests. Proper care, which is also quite simple, will completely protect the plant from any troubles.
The main thing is not to allow excess moisture and keep a distance when planting plants in open ground. Beautiful, vibrant, actively flowering plants reflect the degree of care and love for them.
Verbena hybrid - species and varieties
This plant will surprise even the most experienced gardener with a variety of varieties and colors. Compact low bushes, round leaves, flowers with five petals and shades from white to purple - will become a real decoration of any garden. The period of rapid flowering of hybrid verbena begins at the very beginning of summer and ends in late autumn.
The very origin of this plant is rather complicated and not fully understood. For many years, it formed independently, as a hybrid of various herbs and plants, and had a mostly pink color. But, thanks to the work of breeders, the number of varieties and, accordingly, colors has increased.
The most popular varieties of verbena are:
- Cardinal. A small bush with bright scarlet flowers.
- Crystal. A low plant, completely covered with amazing snow-white inflorescences.
- Yulia. A plant with purple flowers and a white eye in the middle.
- Amethyst. Blue inflorescences of late flowering period.
- Pink Delight. The plant begins to bloom in July, delighting the eye with gentle pink petals.
- Romance Apricot. Romantic variety with silky orange blossoms.
There are many varieties of hybrid verbena. Each gardener chooses them according to his taste. The combination of different varieties with different colors looks very nice. Many have flowers of two colors. You can often find on sale a mixture of varieties of hybrid verbena. Color saturation allows you to create whole flower arrangements in flower beds. In addition to its attractive appearance, verbena has a very pleasant aroma, which fully unfolds in the evening and fills the entire garden with its fragrance.
Useful properties of the plant
In addition to its modest beauty and the ability to become a garden decoration, hybrid verbena also has a number of useful properties that have been known since the times of Ancient Greece.
For medicinal purposes, it is used:
- To dilate blood vessels and improve blood circulation.
- To relieve spasms and pain syndromes.
- To eliminate inflammatory processes.
- To normalize pressure.
- With diseases of the gastrointestinal fact, improved appetite.
- For colds, flu, SARS.
- For weight loss.
The use of hybrid verbena in cosmetology and perfumery is widely known. It has a tonic effect on the skin, tightens pores, removes oily sheen, heals and soothes problem areas. Due to its extraordinary pleasant aroma, hybrid verbena flowers are used in the manufacture of perfumes and essential oils.
Its aroma helps relieve fatigue, recharge with energy and vigor, put your thoughts in order, focus on important things. Its use is especially important during the period of great mental and physical exertion, during stress.
The use of hybrid verbena as a drug is possible in several versions. Tinctures are made from it, decoctions are made, tea is brewed. You can also find verbena drops in pharmacies.
Like any folk remedy, vervain should not be taken during pregnancy. It contains substances that lead to an increase in the tone of the uterus and, as a result, to adverse consequences for gestation.
Many plants have useful properties, and hybrid verbena does not lag behind them. The main thing is to carefully study the composition and apply it without harm to health. An amazingly beautiful plant, with fragrant fragrant inflorescences, unpretentious in cultivation and capable of decorating any garden - all this is a hybrid verbena. Gardeners rightfully distinguish it from other garden flowers and prefer to decorate their plots, terraces and flower beds with it.
Watch how the webrena blooms in the video: